Yes, it’s been silent. No, I have not gone away.
For those who have been wondering, I was laid off last year, and took advantage of the situation to go back to school. As of right now, I am studying telecommunications, which include audio and video production, and minoring in entrepreneurship. I hope to use this information, not only to make my own voice-over business, but also to research the Linux tools and provide more useful information in this site for those who want to know how to use Linux in a way to really take off with their media. Perhaps even publish a few Penguin Producer books.
Among future intended articles include:
- Using the newest version of the Internet DJ Console (which seems to have just taken some of my suggestions and run with them. As far as I’m concerned, this IS the Linux answer to SAM Broadcaster! Rock on, Stephen!).
- Introduction to the Non DAW (I’ve come to like the simplicity and flexibility of this 4-part system).
- More filmmaking stuff for Blender, as well as some asset-creation (2-D animation, such as animated title cards and text effects) using Synfig Studio.
- Explanations of various LADSPA plugins and their uses.
- Sourcefabric Airtime radio scheduling software.
- More podcast episodes. Yes, I fully intend to return to podcasting.
I’m still in the initial classes, however, so the silence will continue for a while longer. But I promise you, I’m not done yet. In the meantime, check these programs out, and decide for yourself if they’re worth your time.